Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Musician Q & A: Libby Barnette


Meet Libby Barnette, the newest member of the horn section. Libby successfully auditioned for the 3rd horn position in November 2009.

What has your favorite concert been this season--and why?

My favorite concert so far has been the third Masterworks concert - Fountains of Rome, Britten's Four Sea Interludes, and Scheherazade. I really enjoyed playing all that great music on one concert! I did have a lot of fun playing Bugs Bunny on Broadway, too.

How intense was the audition process?

Auditions are always nerve-wracking. I had auditioned for the Omaha Symphony four times prior to this! The first time, I was runner-up. The next time, being 8 months pregnant, I didn't have the air capacity to make it through the phrases. The third time was for Principal horn, when Jason DeWater won. The fourth audition was just 7 weeks after the birth of my second daughter. My muscles just weren't back in shape. So, I was very hopeful that this time, not being anywhere near pregnant, I could show the committee what I could do! It was a long day; waiting in between rounds to hear if you've made it to the next round is probably the worst part.

When you're not on stage or practicing, where will concertgoers most likely find you?

When I'm not practicing, I'm with my two little girls, Nora and Georgia. We like to go to the zoo, Fontenelle Forest, and the Children's Museum. I formed a playgroup in my neighborhood. On occasion, I get out without my kids. I like going out to dinner with my husband. I also play Bunco with a group of neighborhood women once a month.

No comments: